Sunday, March 27, 2011

Quickie Interview: Melissa Koosman

Where do you live?
I live in Seattle, Washington. I grew up in this area, but I've spent most of my adulthood exploring other places. Last August I moved back, and it's been a great experience coming home to a beautiful place I hardly know anymore. For the record, the rain isn't as bad as people say it is.

What was your last work published?
In March 2010, I had an article called "Three Kids in Cape Town" published in Faces magazine. I was living in South Africa at the time, so I interviewed South African kids from three different racial and cultural backgrounds for the piece.

What is your next work coming out?
I have a book about South Africa coming out from Mitchell Lane Publishers in late 2011 or early 2012. I'm not allowed to reveal the title yet, but you can check out some books I did for them a few years back: The Fall of Apartheid in South Africa, Meet Our New Student from South Africa, and Going to School Around the World.

What are you reading?
I'm working on a chapter book, so I've been studying Sara Pennypacker's Clementine books, which I adore. I also recently finished The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart, which I thought was a smart and funny book.

Where is your favorite place to snuggle down and read?
Bed. Or a coffee shop. (Now that I'm back in Seattle, I seem to be spending more and more time in coffee shops.)

Do you have a website?
Nope. I'm going to put one together sometime soon, though!

Do you have a favorite quote?
"Art is the lie that tells the truth." - Pablo Picasso



"Keep reading and dreaming"

God Bless,
Susan

2 comments:

Rena said...

Thanks for the interview, Susan and Melissa. Wow, it must have been amazing to live in Africa. I'd love to go there on a photo safari tour sometime.

Susan York Meyers said...

I agree, Rena, it sounds wonderful!

God Bless,
Susan