Saturday, February 26, 2011

Quickie Interview: Melissa Lind


How did you get started drawing? There was a drawing program on PBS that my sister and I used to watch. I don't even remember the name of it, but there was a song that went like this: Shade, shade, we love to shade. And I did love to shade. I was probably seven. My mother is a fine arts major and always encouraged us creatively.
What were some of your artistic inspirations? I love combining things that seem like they wouldn't go together naturally, especially photographs with drawings. I never know exactly how things are going to look. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
How many books have you illustrated? I don't currently have any published work, though I recently signed with Marietta Zacker at The Nancy Gallt Agency. We are working on a dummy that is almost ready to submit to publishers.
What is your favorite place to work? I renovated an old oil shed to use as a studio. It has a gorgeous view of the mountains and a meadow that is loaded with wildflowers in the spring. The studio has a little bed for daydreaming and big beefy shelves for all of my favorite books.
What are you working on now? I am working a picture book about a brother and sister. The older brother is a neat-nick and his younger sister is a wild thing. Chaos ensues!
Do you have a website? URL? www.melissalind.com
Do you have a favorite quote? "What you can do or dream you can, begin it; boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -Goethe



"Keep reading and dreaming"

God bless,
Susan

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Susan,

Thanks so much for your interest in my work! This is a great little venue you have going on.

All my best,

Melissa

Rena said...

I love the picture shown here. Good luck with your work, Melissa!