Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Blanket Tour: Chynna Laird


I used to be acquainted with the perfect mother.
She was a part-time professor at a local college.
She had two children under the age of three.
She kept a clean house.
She was active in the church.
Me? Not so much. I just couldn't seem to get my act together and I only had one toddler. How did she do it? The more I was around her, the more frustrated and insecure I got.
One Sunday morning when my son and I had slid in barely in time for class (again!), I mentioned to her how hectic the morning had been.
"Tell me about it," she replied, "my husband had to get his socks out of the dirty clothes this morning."
I couldn't believe it! SHE... WASN'T... PERFECT!
The more I got to know her, the more I realized she was just better at the facade than I was.
And as I got older, I realized something else. I didn't have to be perfect. It's okay to screw up and I'm a lot harder on myself than anyone else is.
My toddler is now 22 and a pretty great young adult. Could a perfect mother have given him his sense of humor? His laid back attitude? His ability to look at a sunset and really see the colors? I don't think so. She'd have been too busy cleaning spiderwebs or something else that can wait another day.
One of my favorite books is an anthology of essays called The Kid Turned Out Fine. I laugh at the hilarious, bittersweet, loving tributes of motherly chaos from other mothers who also realized it's okay not to be perfect.
The kid really will turn out fine:-)




I wrote today's post as part of the WOW-Women on Writing Blanket Tour for
Not Just Spirited: A Mom's Sensational Journey with Sensory Processing Disorder
by Chynna Laird. The book is a memoir of a mother fighting for a diagnosis when
countless doctor's told her that her daughter was just "spirited". Chynna shares the
heartbreaking reality of mothering a child with a severe "No touch" rule. She calls it
"Mothering without touch." Although Not Just Spirited is the perfect match for parents
of children with SPD, the determination and victories shown in the book will
encourage anyone parenting a child with special needs or working to overcome
an obstacle in their own life.

Chynna has also written a children's book, I'm Not Weird, and resource book about SPD,
At-Home Strategies for Managing Sensory Processing Disorder: A Guide for Parents .
She is now working on another book White Elephants. When not writing, Chynna
is a mom to her three young children and a student wokring on her BA in
Psychology.

Chyanna's Website


If you comment on today's post you'll be entered to win a copy of Not Just Spirited
To read Chynna's post about parenting and a list of other blogs participating in Chynna's
Blanket Tour visit The Muffin.
http://muffin.wow-womenonwriting.com/2010/11/welcome-to-november-blanket-tour.html



"Keep reading and dreaming"

God bless,
Susan

4 comments:

P-A-McGoldrick said...

Really enjoyed your post, Susan. As a newly retired individual, I remembered those hectic days when our children were young with school and after-school activities, etc.
You provided a great perspective on the whole scene!

Patricia
http://pmpoetwriter.blogspot.com/

Betty: Reflections with Coffee said...

Great post about the perfect mother! Don't count this comment as an entry.

Meredith Garrett said...

I think every mom can relate to this post. It's refreshing to hear that we're all...kind of the same! : ) More women need to be this honest! Thumbs up, Susan.

robin.munger said...

I am probably too late for the giveaway but wanted to say anyway....loved your post. It is part of my mission to make sure all moms out there know they are normal because they are NOT perfect!! Great job :)