Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Little Plastic Cup

A little plastic cup, the kind a lot of pizza places give out for free.
I unloaded it from the dishwasher. Worn with use, you could just make out the bunny rabbit painted on the front. When new, the cup had been filled with jelly beans and cushioned in a basket by Easter grass.
My son had loved the bunny cup. After that day, the cup held milk or juice.
But, my son grew and the bunny cup turned into just another cup in the cupboard. I rarely even really looked at it.
But today I looked. I realized it was time for the worn cup to go. My son, now 22, certainly wouldn't miss it.
Still, my hand hesitated over the garbage can. Easter grass, hunting for eggs, jelly beans... all the memories wrapped up in that little bit of plastic.
For everything there is a season...
I let go of the cup.



"Keep reading and dreaming"

God bless,
Susan

No comments: