Friday, October 9, 2009

31 Days of Halloween/Guest Blogger


Several years ago I was in an accident and broke my jaw. A few days later, I was home alone, with my mouth wired shut and a fair dose of liquid Demerol in my system - and I totally forgot that it was Halloween. My doorbell rang, and I opened the door to two young costumed boys shouting TRICK or TREAT!

Being a HUGE Halloween fan, I was absolutely mortified! With everything I’d been through the last few days, I had not one piece of candy in the house.

The only thing I could do was struggle out an apology through my clenched teeth. They must have understood, because they both said it was okay, and started walking away. Then, right before I shut the door, one of them ran back and said “Ma’am, I hope you get to feeling better.”

It may sound silly, but words can not express just how much this small act of compassion touched me - even to this day. Without even realizing it - he gave me the best TREAT of all!

I think of that little boy often. I can’t tell you his name, what his costume was, or even how old he was (although he couldn’t have been more than 9 or 10). But I like to think that a boy who would take the time, on a night that is all about fun, costumes and goodies galore, to wish a hurt stranger well, has most surely grown into a fine young man.

Ginger Reno



"Keep reading and dreaming"


God Bless,

Susan


1 comment:

Rena said...

That's awesome.