Friday, July 17, 2009

Julie and Julia

I attended a sneak preview of the movie Julie and Julia last night. After getting frisked for cameras at the door, my sister and I grabbed seats and she hung onto them while I spent 30 minutes in the concession line.(my hubby thought at an hour before time, we'd be getting there way too early... hah!) I don't know who's idea it was to show the preview the same night as the Harry Potter premire, but...
The lights dimmed and I fell in love with 1940s-50s France and Julia Child. The film moves between Julia Child's time in France and author Julie Powell as she blogs her attempts to cook her way through Julia Child's cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The scene where she cooks lobster for the first time is hilarious!!! And as a writer, I especially loved the scenes showing Julia trying to get her cookbook published. It was a fun view into the writing world of that time.


I highly recommend Julie and Julia. And I don't think it's just a "chick flick." The gentleman sitting beside me laughed, clapped and groaned just as much as any woman there.


"Keep reading and dreaming"

God Bless,
Susan

No comments: