Sunday, March 29, 2009

SCBWI

If you are a children's writer and NOT a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI), then let please me give you some reasons why you should join.

1. Conferences!!! This past weekend, I attended the Oklahoma SCBWI spring conference. Not only did I get to talk to other writers, but I got to listen some really great speakers.
Laurent Linn, Art Director Simon and Schuster
Gretchen Hirsch, Associate Editor, Harper Collins
Mary Kate Castellani, Assistant Editor Walker Books for YoungReaders
Abigail Samoun, Project Director Tricycle Press
Elana Roth, agent, Carmen Johnson Literary Agency
Gail R. Gross, expert on the business side of writing
And, (drum roll) because I attended the conference, I now, for a period of time, have closed publishing houses open to me A step out of the slush pile is a great step!
Plus (yes, there's more) I was able to submit a story for critique. Abigail Samoun gave me some excellent suggestions for one of my picture books.

2. Critique groups!!! What better place to find critique partners then SCBWI?, Whether you are looking for a local writer's group, or an online group, SCBWI can help? And we all know a manuscript is always better after other eyes have looked it over.

3. Information!!! The main SCBWI website has tons of information for beginning writers, contests to enter and message boards. If you have a question, there is someone who can answer it.

Children's writers, editors and agents are some of the nicest people around... join SCBWI and get to know us.:-)

"Keep reading and dreaming"

God Bless,
Susan

No comments: