Friday, March 20, 2009

Quickie Interview: Lori Z. Scott


Where do you live? I live in Stillwater, Oklahoma. (I've also lived in Indiana, Illinois, and Nebraska!)
What was your last work published? Most recently, I had two pieces published in DevoZine (for teens) and Red River Family magazine will run a short story and puzzle (for children). If you mean bigger works, the fourth book in my series, Meghan Rose Has a Secret, came out April 2008. I am traveling to the Christian Book Expo in Dallas, Texas on March 19 to showcase the series.
What is your next work coming out? The Meghan Rose books came out through Standard Publishing, a CBA publisher. Standard usually specializes in Bible curriculum and Bible stories. So my fiction series--sort of a Christian version of Junie B. Jones--is a bit out of the ordinary for them. I've written the next three books in the series and hope to get the go ahead from them soon.
On the flip side, I wrote a picture book for a contest and was offered a contract on it by a small, local POD publisher. I've never worked with a POD company before, but I had nothing to lose, the editor seemed knowledgeable (and nice!) and I liked the story...so I accepted. It's called "Al the Spotted Zebra" and is due out Fall 2009. I suspect I'll be completely enamored with it when I hold it in my hands for the first time.

What are you reading? I love YA fiction, which is handy since I'm an elementary school teacher. Lately I've been snitching my fifth grade daughter's books and reading them! I read her Percy Jackson series (starting with The Lightening Thief) by Rick Riordan (and LOVED it) and the 39 Clues series (written by a variety of authors). I also have a weakness for well-written science fiction/fantasy...and snitched my husband's newest favorite, the Mistborn Series by Brandon Sanderson. It's a GREAT read, very creative. Maybe someday soon I'll buy a book for myself instead of snitching from my family. Until then, I'm sponging off of others...and, luckily, they have good taste.
Where is your favorite place to snuggle down and read? In bed OR an old Lazy-boy rocker that sits bathed in the full, warm afternoon sun.
Do you have a website? Yes. It's www.MeghanRoseSeries.com. My award-winning illustrator, Stacy Curtis, designed it. (You can see his website at www.StacyCurtis.com.) It shows off the Meghan Rose series. It tells about the books, has jokes and activities for kids, and ideas for teacher and parents to use with the books.
Do you have a favorite quote? "If you cannot do great things, do small things in great ways."--Napoleon Hill



"Keep reading and dreaming"
God Bless,
Susan

No comments: