Friday, June 6, 2008

Quickie Interview: Rose Gauss

Rose Gauss is the wonderful illustrator of Callie and the Stepmother. The playful image on the left is one of hers that she very nicely shared with us.


Where do you live? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (one of the friendliest and most beautiful places on earth!)

What was your last work published? I have been doing commissioned portraits of kids and animals and homes…but my last piece published was probably for a story in Wee Ones Magazine for children.

What is your next work coming out? Besides a few children’s magazine illustrations; I started work on another book for Blooming Tree Press called THE VERY ONE by: Marji E. Gold-Vukson. It’s an adorable story about how we shouldn’t be afraid, because ‘the very One’ who made the earth also loves us and watches out for us.

What are you reading? Like most of us author/illustrators I’m always reading something! But a few weeks ago my husband, daughter, and I took a class on teaching adults to read: http://www.christianliteracy.com/index.html

We’re part of a ministry in a neighboring town that would like to start a program to help not only adults who haven’t learned to read but also students who are struggling in school. I’m excited about sharing my love of reading; and hopefully opening up an entire new world for some of them.

So, right now; I’m reading the teacher’s manuals and workbooks.

Where is your favorite place to snuggle down and read? I have a comfortable (and slightly beat-up) old cushioned chair next to a window in my studio; the view is of the woods where I can see white-tail deer, squirrels, chipmunks, turkey, and birds etc…etc!! It’s lovely and peaceful.

Do you have a website? Yes

What is the URL? www.RoseGauss.com

Do you have a favorite quote? I have lots of them, but at the moment: this one from Helen Keller has been speaking to me:

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.

I have a tendency to get frightened easily and here was a woman, who couldn’t see or hear but had such courage and boldness…it certainly makes you think twice, doesn’t it?

"Keep reading and dreaming"

God Bless,
Susan

No comments: